Cosplay Contest details for Retro-Toy Con 2020 coming soon!
Costume Contest Rules:
Trophy and prizes will be awarded to the winner(s) of each category
Kids (12 and under)
Adults Novice (18 and up) (made less than 50% of the costume)
Adults Advanced (18 and up) (made more than 50% of the costume)
Group (2 or more)
1. “No Costume” is NOT a costume. All cosplayers must maintain minimum bathing suit coverage.
2. Body makeup that easily smears or transfers to any person or property cannot be worn. Please properly seal and set all makeup so that does not happen. Staff reserves the right to “smear test” for proper setting of blood or makeup. If your makeup does not comply you will be asked to remove the makeup.
3. If you intend to wear a uniform that appears realistic, distinguish that it is a costume. If your costume could be mistaken for current military or law enforcement, it is prohibited.
4. Weapons: All Weapons must be inspected, approved and tagged by staff prior to being carried or displayed in public areas. If you are found to be in violation of this policy, you will be asked to take it back to your hotel room or vehicle. Staff reserves the right to deny any/or all weapons/props not deemed appropriate and/or safe. The following projectile weapons are NOT permitted: dart guns, bb guns, crossbows, and real firearms. Judges and staff reserve the right to deem costumes inappropriate and disqualify them from the cosplay contest.
Scoring: Scoring is based on 3 criteria:
1. Accuracy to character (how close your costume looks to the character)
2. Craftsmanship (how well costume is built)
3. Presentation (do you BECOME the character while in costume)
Judging for contest will include filling out a short form with your name and character you are portraying. Contestants will be divided into their categories prior to the contest and will have the opportunity to walk across the stage. If you are not lined up in your category when the contest starts, you will be eliminated from the contest. Each contestant will have a short period of time to portray the character they are cosplaying. The judges may take a quick photo of the contestant for future reference and may ask the contestant a few questions about your costume. At the end of the contest, scores will be tallied and the winners will be announced.